Eligibility & Selection Process
The intent of the Initiative Scholarship is to recognize students who are putting forth extraordinary effort to do their best in the classroom and have overcome significant obstacles or adversity, but whose class rank is likely to make them ineligible for academic scholarships. Selected Initiative Scholars should be students who:
1. are unlikely to be eligible for other academic-based scholarships;
2. have overcome personal obstacles or other adversity;
3. have achieved an academic record that represents their maximum effort;
4. show strong promise for succeeding in a postsecondary environment as evidenced by a well-rounded, solid secondary school performance;
5. display other outstanding qualities, demonstrate a high level of motivation to achieve; and
6. are residents of Wisconsin.
Only students who attend schools designated to receive an Initiative Scholarship in 2021 are eligible to be considered if they meet the scholarship criteria. Go to Current Recipient Schools for a list of schools that will award Initiative Scholarships in 2021.
Recipients are selected by their teachers and school administrators.
The deadline for schools to submit their 2021 Initiative Scholarship recipients is January 29, 2021. Schools must submit their completed selection forms online.